In this edition of LightSource, Bill and Ed talk with Dave Hill, commercial music and advertising photographer.
Sean Campbell and Steve Hill (Firesickle.com)
Dave Hill, commercial photographer.
LightSource Episode 58 (Interview Series) [32:13 minutes]
LightSource E058 [14.8 MB]
In this episode:
Bill and Ed discuss:
- Delkin Image Router
- New book by Joe McNally The Moment It Clicks
- Prince of Cheap Monster Lighting Tactics II workshop
- Photo Pass art exhibit at Koos art center, Los Angeles, CA
- Assignments in the LightSource flickr group?
Use coupon code “ls1” to save 10% on your registration!
Special Guests Dave Hill discusses:
- What its like to have a style named after him
- How he developed his style
- Getting started in photography
- Getting into music photography
- Controlling light with multiple subjects
- Preparing for a composite image
- tips for composite image creation
- Using your thumbs for flags
- Ring flash as a fill light
- Lighting and traveling with a beauty dish
- Using White Lightning gear to start out with
- The importance of starting with monolights
- The benefits of having full power strobes and generators on set
- Running your lights outside with cheap generators
- Using grids to focus light
- Light meters for looks
- The “secret” to the Dave Hill look
- Transitioning from music photography to corporate executive portraits
- Why having assistants makes shooting more fun
To help support LightSource, please fill out our Listener Survey! Also, don't forget to visit our LightSource Flickr Group for photo feedback and discussion. Thanks for listening!