Rocky Nook has released a new book, Mastering Photographic Composition, Creativity, and Personal Style by Alain Briot. Here, the author goes beyond the conventional rules of composition and takes on a fresh, new approach to teaching the art of photography.
Briot approaches fine art photography as being a combination of art and technique, and in this book he addresses both. On the artistic side, Briot introduces artistic concepts that have been rarely, if ever, associated with photography. “The personality of the photographer must be present in the image for an artistic photograph to have value,” Briot states.
On the technical side, the author presents numerous tools that can help you learn to create better photographs and he provides technical solutions to common photographic problems.
In the book, Alain Briot discusses:
– How to compose with color, with black and white, and with light
– Why you need to consider your audience while composing a photograph
– Why you should recreate the emotions you felt when you captured your photographs
– How the elements of color–hue, contrast, and saturation–work in your images
– How to control the elements that have a visual effect in your photographs
– How to draw upon your personal way of seeing and then share your vision
– How to diagnose image maladies and apply the proper remedies
– How to define a color palette for a specific photograph
– How to use compositional elements to develop a personal style
Alain Briot is one of the leading contemporary landscape photographers, based in Arizona. Originally from Paris, France, he attended the Academie Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris where he studied drawing and oil painting.