In this episode, Bill and Ed talk with David Hobby from Strobist.com.
David Hobby, aka the “Strobist”.
David is a photographer who works professionally as a news photographer and runs a web site for portable lighting and flash strobe enthusiasts called Strobist.com.
View David Hobby’s web site at: Strobist.com
LightSource Episode 20 (Interview Series) [36:14 minutes]
LightSource E020 [18.7 MB]
In this episode:
Bill and Ed discuss:
- Update to Canon 5D and EOS 1D firmware
- Trail version of Nikon Capture NX and camera control NX
- ACDSee photo editor is released
- The first Studiolighting.net photo contest ends today!
- When celebrities become sports photographers
Special Guest David Hobby discusses:
- Why speedlights?
- His philosophy of lighting with flashes
- His photo gear
- Loving pocket wizards
- Making existing light work for you
- McGyver style lighting
- Found object light modifiers
- Building a basic portable kit
- The amazing ball bungee
- Frosted Flakes brand snoots
- Surviving the never ending equipment cycle
- Working with infrared and TTL flashesHis very favorite SB24 flash
- Using manual flash and camera settings
- The role of batteries
- DIY approach to lighting
- Macro studio in a box
- Cardboard strip lights
- How strobist.com began
- What you’ll find on strobist.com
- On assignment – ongoing education
Photo discussed on the show:
To help support LightSource, please fill out our Listener Survey! Also, don't forget to visit our LightSource Flickr Group for photo feedback and discussion. Thanks for listening!