2008 is the International Year of the Potato, according to the United Nations, so the UN Food and Agriculture Organization has launched the IYP World Photography Contest to increase awareness of the importance of potato as a food in developing nations, and to promote research and development of potato-based systems.
The photo contest welcomes entries from all over the world, itâ€™s the UN after all, and there are two categories to choose from: Professional and Amateur. No, you donâ€™t choose. If youâ€™re a professional photographer, you canâ€™t join the amateurs, and vice versa. Duh!
Entries are to be submitted either as a single JPEG image or a photo story of 4-8 pictures. That means digital; no prints, film or transparencies accepted. Just make sure youâ€™re 18 years or older to be able to join.
- â€¢ 1st place – US$4 000 and a Nikon D300 kit (D300 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens)
- â€¢ 2nd place – US$2 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens
- â€¢ 3rd place – US$1 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens
- â€¢ 1st place – $US2 000 and a Nikon D60 kit (D60 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens)
- â€¢ 2nd place – $US1 000 and a Nikon D40 kit (D40 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II lens)
- â€¢ 3rd place – $US 500 and a Nikon Coolpix S600 camera
Contest rules here. Deadline is September 1, 2008.